The building was erected in 1902, in Roland in the Rural Municipality of Roland, by the Bank of Hamilton. The Royal Bank came to Roland in 1925 and, after amalgamating with the Union Bank, moved into the building in the early 1930s. It was deeded to the Rural Municipality of Roland in 1989 for use of 4-H. The organization celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1963 and at that time a monument was erected beside the municipal hall recognizing Roland as the home of Canadian 4-H. Another monument, presented by the Manitoba 4-H Council, was erected by the museum in 2000.
In 1913, the Manitoba Department of Agriculture, through the Extension Department of the University of Manitoba, organized eight Boys and Girls Clubs in the province. The first one was in Roland. Other clubs were organized the same year in Darlingford, Manitou, Neepawa, Oak Lake, Starbuck, Stonewall, and Warren.
The Department gave each new member a dozen eggs from a good breed of laying hens, good quality seed of fodder corn and seed potatoes. The eggs were set in the spring under a hen and the corn and potatoes were planted painstakingly in the corner of a field or garden and tended by the members. In the fall the communities held a fair where the chickens and the produce were judged.
In 1952 the name was changed from Boys and Girls Clubs to 4-H in keeping with the name of the 4-H Clubs in the United States. Standing for “Head, Heart, Hands, and Health,” 4-H Club members serve their clubs, communities, and countries. (Source: Manitoba Historical Society)