(NC) Getting outside and enjoying the great outdoors is so important for mental and physical well-being, and Canada provides a never-ending playground for nature enthusiasts and families.
But lurking in our midst is an ever-present nuisance: mosquitoes.
Out for our blood, these pests need to feed to nurture their young, and their need takes a serious toll on our desire to enjoy the warm weather.
In fact, a new survey reveals that 70 per cent of Canadians would spend more time outdoors during the summer months if mosquitoes didn’t bother them.
Research shows there are certain qualities that can make you a tastier dish to mosquitoes, including higher body temperature, sweat levels and aroma, high stress levels, pregnancy, dark clothing, and level of alcohol consumption.
■ Mosquito-thwarting tips
If you don’t want to invite mosquitos into your social bubble this summer, here are a few tips to help keep you and your family bite free:
(1) Wash up: This reduces your sweat and thermal signatures.
(2) Cover up: Wear long sleeves and long pants over exposed skin.
(3) Lighten up: Use fans on decks and patios to increase air movement.
(4) Dry up: Avoid wading in standing water – this is where mosquitoes lay their eggs.
(5) Turn up (the repellent): Arm your outdoor green space with an area mosquito repellent. Use a DEET-free, odourless repellent like Thermacell to help keep you safe from mosquitos up to 15 feet away.
With solutions out there, avoiding mosquitos has never been easier. (Source: News Canada)