Friday, September 13 (5 – 9 pm)
Saturday, September 14 (10 am – 4 pm)
Admission: $5 (kids 15 & under – free)
Showcasing Art & Craft as well as the People & Animals that produce it.
Sheep producers, fibre artists and wool enthusiasts will come together in this special showcase of all things wooly at the Manitoba Fibre Festival.
The seventh annual Manitoba Fibre Festival takes place on Friday, September 13 (5 – 9 pm) and Saturday, September 14 (10 am – 4 pm) at Red River Exhibition Park. Admission is just $5 (kids 15 & under are free) and parking is free!
The festival is proud to feature:
- Rare breed sheep displays (live sheep) and alpacas.
- Over 80 vendors from Winnipeg, across Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and Ontario who will offer raw fibre, knitted socks, pottery yarn bowls, felted slippers, handmade wooden spindles, woven scarfs, needlefelted sculptures, hand-hooked rugs, goat’s milk soap, handspun and commercially produced yarn, mittens and many more handmade goods and garments.
- Educational workshops put on by talented instructors from a variety of backgrounds and who are keen to share their tips and techniques.
- Many demonstrations including handspinning, felting, wool judging, weaving, hand and machine knitting, lace making, needle felting, rug hooking, sheep shearing as well as the ancient arts of nalbinding, drop spindling, cord weaving and net making.
- Fleece show and sale: Our handspinner/artisan show assesses wool for soundness, cleanliness, feel, staple length, crimp style and uniformity characteristic to the breed.
- A Fibre Art Show, curated by the Textile and Fibre Artists of Manitoba, showcases the diverse use of natural fibres and techniques in our community.
The festival will attract farmers and craftspeople alike in order to share their skills, arts and resources. Handspinners will discover fleece straight from the shepherd, knitters will find handspun and hand-dyed yarn, and those who appreciate locally-made fine craft can buy beautiful finished pieces.
This is a family-friendly festival, featuring a number of demonstrations and workshops. Everyone is encouraged to share – bringing their knowledge and projects to join in the spinning and knitting circles.
A list of vendors and details about the educational workshops can be found at www.manitobafibrefestival.com or www.facebook.com/ManitobaFibreFestival.