Summer picnics are an enjoyable time for family. Please remember to follow food safety practices when preparing, handling, transporting and enjoying your food to prevent food borne disease. Here are some useful tips:
■ Preparing Food
Wash your hands, food contact surfaces and all utensils before preparing food and try to bring food that is less sensitive to temperature to reduce the risk of food borne disease.
- Hard cheese
- Can food including dried meats or fish
- Dry cereal
- Peanut butter
■ Transporting Food
Bring clean utensils and effective cold storage containers to keep food fresh and to prevent food spoilage. Here are a few recommended items you can take with you:
- Cooler with ice
- Containers for leftovers
- Paper towels
- Trash bags
■ Enjoying Food
When we are enjoying food, there are some useful tips to help prevent foodborne disease:
- Don’t leave foods out in the sun.
- If temperature is above 30°C, food shouldn’t sit out of the cooler over an hour.
- The cooler must be closed after taking the food to be eaten.
- Discard remaining food if the temperature of the food has become warmer. (Source: Foodsafety.gov)